29/30 April 2018 – Waikiki, Hawaii – Day 5 – Sad Day, Happy Day – The End

Today is the last day of our adventure and we have a lot of mixed emotions. Happy to be going back to our son, Paden, our home, bed and TVs. Sad that this amazing trip was ending.

We departed our home in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada 6 February 2018. We have been gone for 83 days now and won’t arrive home until tomorrow morning, 30 April 2018 for a total of 84 days. Originally this trip was supposed to be for 105 days, taking us to 21 May 2018, but as we have mentioned, we were just getting exhausted and cut out many places to visit. Looking back now, we probably should have taken a good week and just rested up at some resort, totally stress free. That way we could have continued and seen more of what was originally on our list of places to go.

We have stayed in 7 countries and 21 cities with quite a few day visits to other cities.

  • Bangkok, Thailand
  • Chiang Mai, Thailand
  • Pai, Thailand
  • Phuket, Thailand
  • Koh Phi Phi, Thailand
  • Krabi/AoNang, Thailand
  • Ko Samui, Thailand
  • Koh Pha Ngan, Thailand
  • Siem Reap, Cambodia
  • Battambang, Cambodia
  • Phnom Penh, Cambodia
  • Sihanoukville, Cambodia
  • Koh Rong Sanloem, Cambodia
  • Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
  • Singapore, Singapore
  • Kuta, Bali, Indonesia
  • Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
  • Gili Trawangan, Indonesia
  • Brisbane, Australia
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Waikiki, Hawaii

We eliminated 11 cities in 4 countries:

  • Ko Tao, Thailand
  • Preah Sibanouk, Cambodia
  • Langkawi, Malaysia
  • Penang, Malaysia
  • Jakarta, Indonesia
  • Yogyakarta, Indonesia
  • Malang, Indonesia
  • Nusa Lembongan, Indonesia
  • Gili Air, Indonesia
  • Lombok, Indonesia
  • Komodo Island, Indonesia

We slept in a bit this morning as check out wasn’t until noon and our flight wasn’t until 3:55 pm today. We headed to Wolfgang Puck’s for breakfast. It was okay. Not a big fan off Cool Whip, an edible oil product, being used instead of real whipped cream. One would think with the name Wolfgang Puck’s on the sign, you would get the real thing, but not the case at this location.

Went for our last stroll down the main drag and took a few more pictures. The ABC store that seems to be every couple of hundred feet here and that the locals refer to as the “All Blocks Covered” store. That is definitely true!

Thought we would check out Alohilani Resort just for the heck of it. Talk about one massive fish tank in the lobby. Apparently it is a two story, 280,000-gallon saltwater tank. 

Time to head back to the hotel and check out. We had arranged a shuttle to the airport through the hotel. So convenient and easy to do. We arrived at the airport a little before 2:00 pm in plenty of time. If you ever need to buy a lei, the airport had lots of them. Silk and real flowers.

Came across this Mexican restaurant and decided to pass some time in here.

The happy couple. Time to order!

Doug ordered a beer, I ordered a margarita and we split some tortilla chips and guacamole. OMG this guacamole was so good. It was topped with pickled jalapeños. Yum Yum

Our gate was in another terminal of the airport so we headed over to it.

It was getting really real now and we were heading home. Still time to change our minds!

We were flying Honolulu to Chicago, Chicago to Ottawa. Our next flight from Chicago wasn’t until tomorrow at 6:30 am. However, with the time change, we were scheduled to arrive in Chicago at 5:08 am and therefore wouldn’t be waiting long for our final flight to Ottawa.

And we were off! Goodbye Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii. We will be back some time.

Sure miss the great meals that were free and we always got on our Asia flights. Well not all tasted great to me, but were for others. Even on 1 hour flights we usually got a quick meal. Free pretzels on this flight and we purchased the M&M and Hummus. Plus the cost of the flights over in SE Asia were so much cheaper.

We dozed a little on the flight, but didn’t sleep as it wasn’t night time for us yet. We were still on Hawaii time. We landed in Chicago around 5:00 am. No customs to deal with as we were flying from the USA to the USA. We would have to deal with customs when we got home in Canada. Made our way to the next gate and final gate of this trip.

We landed on time in Ottawa, Canada and had to line up at customs. Customs wasn’t very busy as it was morning in the Ottawa airport, which isn’t a very big airport compared to many of the airports we have now been to. Thinking back to some of the customs lines we have stood in during the last three months, this one was nothing.

We had packed all of our souvenirs, except for the t-shirts, in our daypacks in case Customs wanted to see any of them. Good thing we did, as the Customs Agent did want to see a couple items. We had bought 2 wooden flutes as gifts and a small wooden surfboard plaque in Bali. They allowed them in, but did inform us that unfinished wood is not usually allowed. Since they were able to inspect the items and they were small enough, they could tell there were no bugs in them.

We called for an Uber to take us home as Paden was working and we couldn’t be sure exactly when we would land.

We were home! ♥ We are still old, but no longer lost. ♥

Did we have a favourite place? I don’t think either of us did. We really enjoyed every place that we can think of right now. Some more than others maybe.

Maybe didn’t enjoy the spiders, bugs or lizards so much! At least I didn’t!

Would we do this again? In a heartbeat! ♥♥

Did we learn anything from this experience? More than you can imagine.

82 Blog entries!

Over 17,000 photos taken between my 2 cameras and my iPhone X !!!!

We flew over 41,808 km (25,978 miles) and traveled hundreds, probably even thousands of kilometers by van, car, bus, boat and ferry. We may have put a few steps on the Fitbit also.

6 – 28 February 2018247,794338184.1159409
1 – 31 March 2018317,675415232.1175336
1 – 30 April 2018280,204296206.1571171

None of these months beat our numbers from December 2016 when we were in Vietnam traveling.

Thank you to everyone who followed along, whether it was for one day or for all 84 days. Hope you enjoyed it almost as much as we did.

If you ever feel like going on a virtual trip again, please feel free to re-read the blog. It will be available for at least the next year.

Bye for now…….until next time! Maybe!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s