31 March 2018 – Singapore – Day 2 – How Did We Do So Much in One Day?

We had a great sleep and enjoyed our breakfast that was included.  They had a good selection of food I would eat, which is always a bonus, as you never know what the breakfast options are going to be. Coffee was okay also.

We were fed and out before 10:30 which was great as we wanted to do the river cruise.

Just down the street from our hotel was this temple. Not sure what they had lit, but they looked like giant firecrackers to me. Believe it or not, we did NOT stop to check it out.

We crossed over the river to book a river cruise.

Tickets in hand we went in search of washrooms before the cruise tour began. Always seem to be searching for washrooms. Our dollar is almost on par with the Singapore dollar, which makes it great for conversion in my mind.

Headed right back and boarding was just about to begin. We headed to the back of the boat to sit outside. Hoping we would get great views of everything. Thankfully today was a little overcast and we shouldn’t be fried, like we often are.

The River Cruise would take us from Clarkes Quay to the Marina Bay and back.

Merlion Park
Esplanade Theatres on the Bay
Singapore Flyer
Art Science Museum & Marina Bay Sands

The sky was starting to clear and the sun was trying to come out

Helix Bridge

We got back to the dock and decided to wander around riverside area checking out menus of the cafes and pubs. We thought we might come back one evening. That never did happen, but if we ever go back, we will make it happen.

Doug’s favorite wine, Shiraz. YUCK!

By now it was afternoon, as in after 1200 hrs, and we were getting tired and thirsty. Only so much water a person can drink, right? So we looked at a few menus and found a place we could afford. This place looked nice and had cheap beer for Singapore.

We relaxed and enjoyed a couple of cold beers on the riverside.

Wandered up the side streets to see what was around.

Some streets were better than others. Came across this cool vending machine. Can’t say we have ever seen a Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice vending machine before.

We found a Starbucks, but not only was it a Starbucks, it was also where the Canadian Embassy is. Okay Paden, we have found the place for you to get a job so we can visit.

Here is a picture of the old with the new architecture.

We had ended up in Chinatown again and yes, there was a temple that was calling our names.

This was the Sri Mariamman Temple. A Hindu temple and looked very similar to the temple that we had visited in Kuala Lumpur a few days ago. After a while, all these temples start to look a like.

We headed back to the hotel and had an early dinner at the little cafe, the baker & cook, again. I had the same as last night, quiche and salad. Doug also had the same tonight. Did some laundry, as they had laundry facilities, which is always exciting, and chatted with an Aussie couple in the laundry room. It was some nice down time. Then back to the room to relax for a while, but not for long!!!

We were heading to the Gardens by the Bay for the night time light show that was in the Supertree Grove.

We were going to take the MRT there. Unfortunately, but fortunately, we got off at the wrong stop and felt totally lost. Fortunate thing was, apparently a lot of people got off at the wrong stop, so we just followed the crowds. We were on the wrong side of the river and had to cross over the Helix Bridge that is pictured above. As we were crossing over, the light show on the Art Science Museum started. It was awesome. I only got a few photos though as we were walking across the bridge and still a little ways away.

The music and light show was INCREDIBLE. Here are just a few photos that I took. The first one shows the Marina Bay Sands Hotel.

You could pay to go up onto the walkway that you can see in the photo below. I would love to to do this some time, but Doug won’t do it. I really hope to get back here one day.

This is my most favorite photo of the night
Marina Bay Sands Hotel

We followed the crowds and found the correct MRT stop to get back to the hotel. Of course you had to cut through a shopping mall to get to the MRT, but talk about a cool shopping mall.

If it hadn’t of been for following the crowds, we still may be wandering around looking for the MRT stop. We managed to find the right train line and get off at the correct stop! We should be proud of ourselves, especially after a long day. 15,468 steps to be exact, but who has been counting? Here is what we saw walking back to the hotel from the MRT stop.

Once we got back to the hotel, we sat in outdoor lounging area, and Doug enjoyed a pint of very expensive draught beer. He said “it was worth it!” I must have been very tired, as I have no pictures of it or the bill! Called it a night!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s